The penetration of cell phone users is staggering. The following statistics illustrate the potential untapped market.
- Cell phone users in the USA are about 82.4% of the population (about 250 million).
- Approximately 80% of cell phones in the USA are equipped with Bluetooth® technology.
- Approximately 70% of cell phone users have their Bluetooth® device enabled.
- Cutting that number by half, the conservative estimate is over 70 million cell phone users will be detectable by the equipment.
- At a 15% opt-in, over 10 million cell phone users downloading content.
- Penetration of cell phone users with their Bluetooth® technology discoverable varies by age group:
- 45 years old: 41.52%
- 30 – 45 years old: 65.35%
- 29 years old: 79.61%
Proximity marketing, like Blue Media Zones, is relatively new to the United States. In many ways, Europe is more advanced in the application of some technologies.
The BBC installed servers in train stations for three weeks with a new video clip each day promoting a new TV series. Over 26,000 users downloaded the clips. It is estimated that over 180,000 cell phone users were contacted when they forwarded the video clips to their friends.
The U.S. Naval Reserve placed servers in selected locations on Navy bases showing a two minute recruitment video. The opt-in rate was 31.6 percent. This campaign supplemented a phone kiosk advertisement.
Coldplay announced a new album with a billboard at six train stations with a server transmitting video clips and audio files from the album. In two weeks, 87,000 devices were contacted with 15,000 downloads.
Pepsi installed servers in 50 locations across the southwestern US for a one month broadcast of video clips. Servers were moved based on performance. Over 7,800 downloads occurred during the campaign.
An ad warning young drivers about the dangers of drunk driving was broadcast on servers inconjunction with a TV advertisement. Approximately 330,000 devices were contacted with over 103,000 downloads (approximately 30% opt-in rate).
A video for a popular dinner show in Orlando, Florida was broadcasted for a month in The Florida Mall and Seminole Town Center. Over 40,000 phones were detected in the two Blue Media Zones and nearly 9,000 downloads were recorded between both malls, for a download percentage of 22%.
Blue Media installed units in 25 movie theaters for 4 weeks promoting a new film release. Over 17,000 ring tones were downloaded in that 4 week period through the Blue Media Zone.
Two Blue Media Zones were installed at UCF (University of Central Florida) promoting several advertisers with student discounts from donuts to oil changes for two months at the end of the school year. The opt in rate was over 21%.
The minimum download opt-in has been 15%. Obviously, the desirability of the content affects the download rate.